You are using an outdated browser. Please upgrade now to a modern browser in order to benefit of all our site's features: Chrome, FireFox, Opera, Safari or Internet Explorer.

Logo

    Puranattukara is an ancient village situated in the South-Western valley of Vilangan hills. It is touch of vast area of paddy fields ,which supported and influenced the economical , cultural and spiritual developments of this territory .Most of the farmers were Farmers and fishermen till last few years.


    Geographically , Puranattukara is one and half kilometers away from ‘Muduvara’ in Thrissur-Kunnamkulam highway , In Thrissur district in Kerala,South India. Ecclesiastically it is an independent,self sufficient and sovereign parish having 900 catholic families under the Arch Diocese of Thrissur. As the faith and legend reveal St.Thomas,one of the disciples of Jesus Christ set his foot at Cranganore(Kodungallur),a busy center of commerce and an important port of ancient Kerala.The history of the Arch Diocese dates back the Apostolate of St.Thomas when he landed at Musiris(Kodungallur) and later at Palayur,where he established the first Christian community.


    From the 4th century onwards St. Thomas Christians established relationship with the Church of Persia. The Bishops from the Church of Persia resided at Kodungalloor, with the title of the “Metropolitan and Gate of all India”. The ‘Metropolitan’ changed his residence from Kodungalloor to Angamaly in the 16th century due to certain political reasons. After the death of Mar Abraham in 1597 St. Thomas Christians were subjected to the Latin Bishops from 1599 and continued to be so until 1887.


    H.H. Pope Leo XIII of illustrious memory, by the epoch- making bull “Quod Jam Pridem” of May 20, 1887, separated the Syrian Catholics from the Latins. were placed under the newly erected Syrian Apostolic Vicariates of Trichur and Kottayam. North of the river Periyar belonged to Trichur.Thus the Vicariate of Trichur had within its territory three of the most ancient Christian centres i.e, Kodungalloor- the cradle of Christianity in India, Palayoor and Angamaly. Mgr. Adolphus Edwin Medlycott was the first Vicar Apostolic of Trichur.


    Later Mar John Menacherry became the first native Vicar Apostolic of Trichur. The southern boundary of Trichur Vicariate was limited to the area bordered by the river Chalakudy. The progress of syrian Catholics were rapid and remarkable.


    On December 21, 1923 by the bull “Romani Pontifices” of Pope Pius XI, the Syro-Malabar Hierarchy was established, and Mar Francis Vazhappilly became the first Bishop of the Eparchy of Trichur.


    On March 11, 1944, H.E. Mar George Alapatt was nominated the Bishop of Trichur. On May 1, 1944 the consecration of Bishop Mar George Alapatt was held in Trichur. Pope Pius XII, by the bull “Saepe Fidelis” of April 29, 1955 extended the jurisdiction of the Eparchy of Trichur to the Civil district of Coimbatore. Later, on June 4, 1970 Mar Joseph Kundukulam was nominated the Bishop of Trichur and he was consecration on August 16, 1970. In the same decade the eparchy of Trichur ws bifurcated twice. On June 20, 1974, Pope Paul VI by the bull “Apostolico Requirente” divided the Eparchy of Trichur erecting the Eparchy of Palghat which consisted of the civil districts of Palakkad and Coimbatore. Again on June 22, 1978, Pope Paul VI separated the entire taluk of Kodungalloor, greater Part of Mukundapuram and small portions of Paravoor and Aluva to the north of the river Chalakudy from the Eparchy of Trichur and erected the Eparchy of Irinjalakuda by the Apostolic bull “Trichuriensis Eparchiae”


    Pope John Paul II inaugurated the centenary celebrations of the Eparchy of Trichur on February 7, 1986 at St. Thomas Nagar, Trichur. On May 20, 1987 the centenary was celebrated. The concluding functions on August 9, 1987 were presided over by Simon Cardinal Lourdusamy, the then Prefect of the Congregation for the Eastern Churches. On May 12, 1987, as directed by S.M.B.C., the Eparchy of Trichur took up the pastoral care of the Syro-Malabar faithful of Bombay. Mgr. Paul Chittilappilly the then Vicar General of the Eparchy, lead the team of priests sent for the Mission. The Eparchial Renewal Project - EVX-2000, which lasted 10 years was inaugurated on December 30, 1990.


    On January 18, 1994, Mother Theresa laid foundation stone for Divyahrudayashramam, Chennaipara and visited Ashanilayam, Peace Home, Santhivanam and Mercy Home at Peringandoor.


    The long awaited expectation of the faithful of the Eparchy of Trichur was fulfilled on May 18, 1995 when the Pope John Paul II raised the Eparchy to the Metropolitan status, with Eparchies of Irinjalakuda and Palghat its suffragans and Bishop Mar Joseph Kundukulam its first Metropolitan Archbishop. On August 17, 1995, he was Installated as the First Archbishop of the Archeparchy of Trichur. Mar Jacob Thoomkuzhy, the new Archbishop was appointed on December 18, 1996. His Installation as the successor of Mar Joseph Kundukulam was held on February 15, 1997.


    On December 8, 1997, the foundation stone for the Marymatha Major Seminary was blessed by H.G. Mar Jacob Thoomkuzhy and laid by H.G. Mar Joseph Kundukulam at Mulayam. On April 9, 2000 Beatification of Bl. Mariam Thresia, founderess of CHF was held at St. Peter’s Basilica, Rome by H.H. Pope John Paul II. Opening the opportunities for Professional Education, prestigious professional colleges like Jyothi Engineering College, Cheruthuruthy (September 12, 2002), Mahajubilee Training College (September 19, 2002), Mulloorkara, Jubilee Mission Medical College (August 24, 2003) were started.


    The Archdiocese hosted 26th Biennial General Assembly of CBCI at Marymatha Major Seminary, Trichur from January 7, 2004. Mar Ignas Cardinal Mouza I Daoud, Prefect of the Congregation for the Eastern Churches, Archbishop Pedro Lopez Quintana, Apostolic Nuncio, Archbishop Folly, President of the Council for Social Communication, Rome, and so on were present on the occasion. The Beatification of Bl. Euphrassia CMC was held at Ollur on December 3, 2006.


    The Archeparchy of Trichur was privileged for the first time to get an auxiliary bishop in the person of Mar Andrews Thazhath. He was nominated on March 18, 2004 and was ordained bishop on May 1, 2004. Mar Andrews Thazhath was installed the 3rd Archbishop of Trichur on March 18, 2007.


    Causes of the Servants of God Fr. Augustine John Ukken and Fr. Antony Thachuparambil started on November 30, 2007 and on June 9, 2009 respectively.


    Mar Raphael Thattil was appointed the Auxiliary Bishop of Trichur on January 18, 2010 and was ordained by Mar Andrews Thazhath on April 10, 2010. Ramanathapuram, a new suffragan eparchy was erected for the Tamil Nadu region bifurcating the eparchy of Palghat on 18th January 2010 and Mar Paul Alapatt from the Archdiocese of Trichur was nominated the First Bishop of the Diocese. First Curia Bishop of the Syro Malabar Church is also from this Archdiocese in the person of Mar Bosco Puthur hailing from parappur, the home parish of Mar Joseph Kundukulam. Archdioce of Trichur is honoured again when Mar Andrews Thazhath was elected the President of K.C.B.C. on 16th December 2010, he being the first from the Archdiocese to hold this prestigious position in the special scenario of Kerala. Silver jubilee of the visit of H. H. Pope John Paul II was celebrated with Jubilee Memoir rally and Viva il Papa Exhibition on 6th February 2011. Archbishop Salvatore Pennacchio, the Apostolic Nuncio to India and Nepal inaugurated the Post Centennial Silver Jubilee Celebrations on 22nd May 2011.


    The present Archeparchy of Trichur has the following boundaries - North : Bharathapuzha in Malappuram district and Trichur - Palakkad district boundary; West : Arabian Sea; East : Trichur district boundary; South : Southern boundary of Valapad village and Karuvannur, Karanchira, Kurumali and Mupliam river.

Important Historical Events
  • 1953

    Request forward to rt. Rev. Dr. George Alappat, the Bishop of Thrissur, to construct a new church at Puranattukara by Rev.Fr. Antony Kunnamkudath, the Vicar of St. Mary’s Church, Ambakkad.

  • 1955

    Jan 11: The new Church at Puranattukara, in the patronage of St. Sebastian was blessed.

  • 1955

    Feb 6: The First solemn Feast of St. Sebastian at new Church was celebrated.

  • 1955

    Dec 6: St. Sebastian church Puranattukara was declared as a new Parish.

  • 1975

    Aug 15: A new Bell Tower was erected in the leadership of the vicar Rev. Fr. John Chalakkal and blessed by Mar. Joseph Kundukulam

  • 1978

    Apr 7: Rev.Fr. Xavier Akkara, the first vicar of St.Sebastian Church Puranattukara was demised.

  • 1982

    Dec 22: The church was renovated, and dedicated to God by Rev. Dr. Joseph Kundukulam, Vicar Rev. Fr. Joseph Arassery

  • 2000

    July 3: Foundation stone was laid to a new church at Adat.

  • 2001

    Nov 18: Nithyasahayamatha Church Adat was blessed by Mar Jacob Thoomkuzhy, the Arch Bishop of Thrissur

  • 2003

    July 3: Foundation stone was laid of the Golden Jubilee Hall

  • 2004

    April 4: Fr. Xavier Akkara memorial Catechism Hall was inaugurated.

  • 2005

    Jan 9: Golden Jubilee Hall was inaugurated by Mar. Andrews Thazhath, Auxiliary Bishop of Thrissur

  • 2005

    Dec 8: St.Mary’s Grotto, in memory of 50th anniversy of our parish, was inaugurated by Mar. Andrews Thazhath

  • 2010

    June 13: St. Antony’s ‘Oottuthirunnal’ is celebrates for the first time in the parish.

  • 2010

    Nov 2: Funeral fund was inaugurated by Rev. Fr. Johny Antony Parekkat, the vicar.

  • 2011

    St.Antonys Shopping complex wsa inaugurated by Mar Rapheal Cheenath , Bishop of Bhuvaneshwar

  • 2012

    Foundation stone for new Presbytery was blessed by Mar Rapheal Thattil,Aux.Bishop of Thrissur

  • 2012

    March 15: new presbytery was inaugurated by Mar Raphel Thattil

  • 2013

    Jan 1: Foundation stone for the Presbytery was laid by Rev.Fr.Andrews Kuttikat,vicar

  • 2013

    Aug 15: The new Presbytery cum Parish office complex was inaugurated by Mar Rapheal Thattil,Aux.Bishop of Thrissur.

  • 2013

    Dec 15:Foundation stone was blessed by Mar Andrews Thazhath, Arch Bishop of Thrissur for our new church..

  • 2014

    Jan 20: The Foundation stone was laid by Rev. Fr. Andrews Kuttikat,was blessed by Mar Andrews Thazhath, Arch Bishop of Thrissur.

1955 - 1967 : Rev. Fr. Xavier Akkara

1967 :           Rev. Fr. John Alappatt

1967 - 1971: Rev. Fr. John Akkarapatty

1971 - 1972: Rev. Fr. Joseph Chakkalamattom

1972 - 1974: Rev. Fr. John Kuttikkatt

1974 - 1978: Rev. Fr. John Chalakkal

1978 - 1979: Rev. Fr. Mathew Thaiparambil

1979 - 1980: Rev. Fr. Leontius CMI

1980 - 1981: Rev. Fr. Bernard Thattil

1981 - 1983: Rev. Fr. Joseph Arassery

1983 - 1985: Rev. Fr. Jacob Pulicottil

1985 - 1986: Rev. Fr. Jose Thalakkottoor

1986 - 1989: Rev. Fr. Rapheal Vadakkan

1989 - 1990: Rev. Fr. Jose Ainikkal

1990 - 1991: Rev. Fr. Mathew Peramangalath

1991 - 1992: Rev. Fr. Jose Punnoliparambil

1992 - 1995: Rev. Fr. Alphonse Pulikkottil

1995 - 1998: Rev. Fr. Ittiachan Kurissery

1998 - 2002: Rev. Fr. Francis Karippery

2002 - 2006: Rev. Fr. Paulson Palathingal

2006 - 2009: Rev. Fr. Clement Vazheparambil

2009 - 2012: Rev. Fr. Johny Antony Parekkatt

2012 - :        Rev. Fr. Andrews Kuttikkatt

Asst. Vicars:

2009 - : Rev. Fr. Tijo Joy Mullakkara

2010 - : Rev. Fr. Antony Kuruthukulangara

2014 - : Rev. Fr. Dijo Olakkengil